Job interviews are the worst. Good thing we’ve got tons of real talk tips.
Career Contessa has been writing articles about everything career-related for years now so we figured we’d round up some of the best advice on our favorite topics. ‘Cause you know, who wants to go wading through the archives?
We’re calling it the #CCTMI Series (because the goal here is to give you so much help, you’re sick of us) and publishing a new roundup each Friday. Bookmark this page to reference later, and check back next week for a stockpile of our best productivity advice.
And now: the job interview.
*And then some.
BECAUSE IT’S ALWAYS BEST TO START AT THE VERY BEGINNING.
- Mastering the Art of the Interview: Before, During, and After – Our 101 guide. If you’re strapped for time, just hit this.
- The One-Step Method to Acing Your Interview – G’head, you know you want to know.
- Checklist: Everything You Need to Bring to an Interview – There’s way more to it than simply printing copies of your resume.
- Interview Outfit Do’s and Don’ts – The best advice from fashion entrepreneurs (so you know it’s good).
- What Your Body Language Says About You In An Interview – Who knew?
- The Secret to That Pre-Interview Wait – You know the one when you’ve checked in and then plop down into a lobby chair for 10 minutes?
YOU’LL NEVER KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THE INTERVIEWER WILL ASK—BUT YOU CAN GET PRETTY CLOSE.
- The Big 10: The Perfect Answers to Common Interview Questions – Interview prep is key. This is the perfect checklist to get you started.
- The 10 Interview Questions CEOS Love to Ask – Even more questions for the over-achiever in all of us.
- Here’s How You Answer the Dreaded Salary Interview Question – It really is dreadful, isn’t it?
- How to Answer “Why Are You Looking for a New Job?” – CC founder, Lauren, weighs in. (Oh, and did you know you can work with her one-on-one?)
- The Most Revealing Questions You Should Ask Your Interviewer – That’s right. The tables have turned.
WHY MAKE YOUR OWN WHEN YOU CAN LEARN FROM SOMEONE ELSE’S?
- The 4 Worst Comments to Make During an Interview – We like to think we would never do something stupid, but sometimes people do. They really do.
- 5 Common Interview Mistakes and How to Avoid Them – Knowing the common traps will save you from yourself.
IT’S A WILD, TECH-DRIVEN WORLD OUT THERE. YOU THINK YOU’VE GOT IT IN HAND, AND THEN SOMEONE’S LIKE “LET’S DO THIS BY GOOGLE HANGOUT” AND YOU’RE LIKE “…”
- How I Conquered the Art of Phone Interviewing – First-hand tips. We like those.
- The Ultimate Guide to Skype Interview Success – This advice goes for other forms of video interviews, too, you know.
- What I’ve Learned from My last 3 Phone Interviews – And more first-hand tips. All the tips.
YOU’RE NOT DONE YET. IT’S ALL ABOUT THAT FOLLOW THROUGH.
- The Fine Art of Thank You Notes – This step is crucial.
- 5 Top Interview Follow-Up Tips to Help You Land the Job – Collect ’em all.
- How to Write a Standout Follow-Up – For the times you don’t hear back, that subtle “Remember me?” can make all the difference.
JUST BECAUSE SOME ADVICE DOESN’T FIT INTO A CATEGORY DOESN’T MEAN IT ISN’T GOLD.
- Wondering How to Explain that Gap in Your Work History? – Whether you had a kid, traveled the globe, or just spent a period facing scary unemployment, we’ve got answers.
- Endless Interviews, but No Offers? Here’s Our Secret to Landing the Job – We feel your frustration. Here’s a nice reset.
- 8 Tips for Combatting Gender Bias in an Interview – Ladies unite!
- Informational Interview 101 – We love ’em. And while they’re not exactly job interviews, they’re key to a successful job hunt.
WHERE WOULD WE BE WITHOUT OUR FRIENDS?
- Interview Prep Checklist – from Jamie Petkanics of the Prepary (also one of our Mentors!)
- 6 Tough Interview Questions and How to Handle – from our friends at Create & Cultivate. We also highly recommend you our interview with founder Jaclyn Johnson here.
- The Most Interesting Interview Questions You Need to Know – also from Create & Cultivate (OK, so we have a big crush on them. So what?)
- Interview Red Flags – You’re interviewing the company as much as they’re interviewing you. Here are some signs it may not be the place for you.
- Ok, but what do I actually wear to a creative company interview? – If you’re applying for a creative job, black blazers are so not the way to go. designlovefest gives some great alternatives.
- Glassdoor – Tip: Glassdoor lets former candidates leave reviews about their interviews with a company. Some reviews will tell you how many people you’ll interview with and others even list the actual questions coming your way. Talk about a hack.
- Hire a Mentor – You know this is what we do right? If you want hands-on help improving your interviewing skills, try working with one of the experienced women we have on hand.
This post originated on, www.careercontessa.com.